Lindsay Saunders, who was raised on a small animal farm, teaches us her recipe for black bean and sweet potato vegan enchiladas:
1- 16 oz can black beans
2 -medium sweet potatoes
2 -8oz cans tomato paste
choice of hot sauce
water to thin sauce
~ 1 tbs cumin
~ 1 tsp garlic powder
~ 1 tsp onion powder
~ 2 tbs chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
10 corn tortillas
Cheese of choice for topping (optional)
(preheat oven to 425)
- Wash and cube the two sweet potatoes, place in a medium sized pot of water and bring to a boil. (boiling time approx 20 min, until tender)
- Place can of black beans into a separate pot and add the following: 1/2 tbs cumin, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Heat the beans.
- Combine the tomato paste with the remainder of the spices and add hot sauce and water until the sauce is the desired spiciness and consistency.
- When the potatoes are tender, strain the water, add a dash salt, and then mash the potatoes.
- Stir the beans into the mashed sweet potatoes. This is your enchilada filling!
- Heat each corn tortilla to soften it. Then, place a heaping spoonful of filling and roll the tortilla. Place in a casserole dish. Continue this process until the casserole dish is full of enchiladas.
- Pour enchilada sauce over all of the enchiladas.
- Top with cheese.
- Place dish in oven until cheese is melted, using broil setting if desired.